TRACK AND FIELD
Track and Field has resumed. Attendance at all practices is mandatory unless teachers have stated otherwise. Students cannot participate in track and field unless they have handed in their form. We are still looking for parent volunteers to help out with our annual track meet.
VISITOR AND PARENT INFORMATION
St. Bernadette School prides itself on being a “Naturally Open School”. This allows the community to be safe and caring towards one another. To maintain this warm and inviting atmosphere we are asking for parental help with the following:
1. Hallways – We invite parents to escort their child to the classroom if they do not feel comfortable doing so by themselves and if it helps them to have a good start to the day. However, once the child is in the classroom and ready to go, that parents vacate the hallways. Parent’s need to be vacated from the hallways by the end of morning prayer. If you are volunteering, please check in at the office and grab a visitor’s tag before you assume your duties.
2. Late Arrival – Parking lot safety is always a concern and issue for the school. We are grateful for the parents who volunteer to monitor our parking lot. Drivers tend to become more agitated and stressed when they are late. We ask that you maintain a slow speed through our parking lot and drive defensively at all times. When a child is late, they must enter through the main doors by the office. The child must be given a slip from the office staff (the slip says “we are glad you made it”) and show the teacher the slip. This helps with our attendance procedures, otherwise you may receive a phone call from the office asking if your child is at home sick, when in fact they are at the school, thus causing undue panic for everyone.
3. Photos and Videos – Parents are not authorized to take photos or videos of their child and/or other children while they are learning in the classroom. Permission from the principal or classroom teacher must be obtained. There are provincial acts, ordinances, regulations, etc., such as PIPA, that we must adhere to in order to maintain the privacy and safety of everyone in the school. There are many assemblies and gatherings offered where parents can take pictures and videos. Any pictures/videos that contain children other than your child cannot be posted to social media sites without the consent of the parent(s) of the other child(ren) in your photos/video.
4. Dismissal – When it is time to pick up your child at the end of the day, we ask all parents to wait outside until your child is dismissed. No one should be in the hallways prior to the bell unless they have permission from the office by checking in first.
5. Check-ins – When entering the school, all parents and visitors must enter through the main doors at the north end of the school and check into the office. Failure to do so becomes a safety concern for you and the school – for example, if there was an emergency and you were stuck or trapped in the school, we would not know your whereabouts and our records would not show you in the school, therefore we would believe everyone made it safely out of the school.
We are very thankful for the parent involvement in our school, the commitment you show to your child’s education, the desire to keep our school a safe and caring community and the support you provide to our students and staff. We look forward to continuing to work together to make St. Bernadette’s a place where everyone feels safe and welcomed.
The parent handbook has been updated. Please refer to this handbook only. The one on the website will be updated again in September.
Some of the changes of note:
– Holidays during school time
– Sexuality and Your Child meetings
– Fair Notice: Student Threat Assessment Protocol
– Tobacco, Cannabis, Vapor & Smoking Ban
– Appendix A – Extended Absence Form
LIKE US ON GOOGLE & RECOMMEND US ON FACEBOOK
St. Bernadette School is trying to expand its social media presence. One of the best ways is through online word of mouth. If you are proud of your school please consider leaving us a review. Leaving reviews with keys words such as “Surrey, school, best, top, St. Bernadette, elementary, etc.” help get our school out there when families do searches using those words.
There are two primary sites that we use where you can leave a review:
To leave a review on google, type in St. Bernadette School Surrey in the google search bar and scroll down and look on the right side until you see the review button.
To leave a review on Facebook, go to https://www.facebook.com/stbernadettelementary/
Our goal is to receive over 50 reviews on each platform, we hope you will help us reach that goal.
St. Bernadette School will be having their yearly attendance audit in month of May. Students who have been absent MUST provide the school with a absent note indicating the days the days & reason of absenteeism along with the parent signature. Failure in not having an absent note for the days absence not accompanied by a note could result in families having to pay a portion of the provincial funding. So if you are aware of any absent note(s) that have not been given to the office, please send it in at your earliest convenience. Please ensure that you always submit an absent note for your child’s absenteeism.
Used uniforms are needed to help re-stock the shelves for our used uniforms. If you have any used uniform items to donate, please contact Angeline at: email@example.com
At present these are the used uniform items that are in stock:
Golf shirts, pants, gym strip, sweaters, vests, tunics & kilts.
All proceeds generated from the sales of used uniforms comes directly back to the school.