St. Bernadette Elementary
River Rafting Reminders
For Parents and Students River Rafting Tomorrow, Friday Sept. 15th
REMINDERS FOR TOMORROW
Here are some reminders for tomorrow…
1. Departure Time: Please be at the school ready to go by 6:45am. The bus leaves promptly at 7am and we will not wait for late arrivals.
2. Location: The rafting base is at the Executive Suites Hotel & Resort, 40900 Tantalus Road, Garibaldi Highlands, Squamish.
3. Electronics – The Outdoor Adventure Club prides itself on presenting “unplugged” experiences. We ask that students do not bring electronic devices with them. However, if you deem that they should have a phone with them, they must keep it in their backpacks at all times. We will let them phone home on the way back to the school.
4. Weather – It is going to be nice and sunny – Morning high of 10 and afternoon high of 28
5. What to bring:
• All children must have 3 sets of clothes with them so they are warm and dry throughout the entire day especially if it’s raining! Please ensure each participant is aware of clothing that will be appropriate for the weather.
• Set 1. Survivor athletic gear – comfortable clothing and running shoes.
• Set 2. Rafting clothes (they will get wet) – Since it will be warm while rafting swimming shorts and/or a swimsuit are suitable. However, it can get cold, so some might prefer to wear extra layers over top.
• Please bring a towel.
• Bring shoes that can get wet, such as good walking sandals with grip that are strapped to your feet. No flip flops or crocs please. Remember to bring spare dry shoes for later.
• Do not wear cotton such as Jeans and T-Shirts while rafting as it retains cold against your body.
• Set 3. Warm dry clothes for the bus ride home, include dry underwear and socks
• Plastic bag in which to put wet clothes and shoes after you change.
• Bring your sunscreen and leave any valuables & jewellery at home
6. What is Provided: They will provide you with wetsuit booties for your feet if you do not have sandals or it’s a cold day. (Limited number of booties & sizes are available depending on group size). Please note if you have two groups departing at separate times the booties will be wet for the second departure so it’s a good idea to BYO rain boots or shoes that can get wet. They will supply you with a spray jacket, helmet, government-approved lifejacket, wetsuit booties and all the equipment required to raft safely
• They have a shared male and shared female changing area for your privacy and convenience
• All clothes and bags can be left in the change rooms. The building will be locked for the duration of the rafting trip and you can leave anything you are not taking on the river in the secured change rooms. Canadian Outback Adventures & Events is not responsible for lost or stolen belongings.
7. The Activities – The students will begin with a Survivor-like gaming experience. After these games the students will have lunch. After lunch they will get changed and depart for their rafting adventure. Half way through the trip we will stop for a snack and drink provided by rafting guides.
8. Arrival Back at School: We are expected to arrive back at the school around 6:30pm. We will use Facebook to provide updates to parents. Please ensure you are logged into the school account for Facebook and not the personal account. https://www.facebook.com/stbernadettelementary
9. Photos: They will take digital photos of our group rafting. These photos can be viewed and purchased after your trip. A full photo USB of your rafting adventure is $55.00 + tax and you will receive a USB with 20-30 action and scenic shots. The school will look into obtaining these photos and sharing them via social media.
Can’t wait to see everyone bright and early tomorrow!!
St. Bernadette Elementary Catholic School